1. re3.png revc.png

Two of the earlier entries to the Grand Theft Auto series have been fully reverse-engineered by a team of modders. Re3 and ReVC are the respective reversed source code for GTA III and GTA Vice City that have been made available to download. Those releases bring new features to those games such as widescreen support, debug menu and improved rendering. They also open doors to future modding and tinkering for those titles and the project has also been ported to the Nintendo Switch, Playstation Vita and Nintendo Wii U.

A few screenshots of those mods in action have also been made available:

3 1.png
    3 5.png 3 4.png 3 2.png vc4.png vc3.png vc2.png vc1.png

The team still has a "to-do" list with features that could be implemented later but you can find the current improvements in the list below:

An installation guide is available in the GitHub repository linked below but you will need to provide your own copy of each game to proceed as the mods require PC game assets to work.

:download:
    Re3 and ReVC GitHub Repository

Share this article:

Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Telegram WhatsApp
    CheeseMan13, lordelan, Xzi and 23 others like this.

Discussion (50 replies)

2. Latiodile

Latiodile Profesionnal Scalie Member

Canada
    man i can only imagine the huge wealth of mod potential having this would open up

but i doubt anyone will actually tap into that potential

WiiEJECT, Orangy57 and Silent_Gunner like this.
  3. Silent_Gunner

Silent_Gunner The Edge of the Soul Member

United States
    I've always been curious about this idea of taking a game, reverse-engineering it, and then porting it to other platforms since the source code isn't just a bunch of glorified 0's and 1's made to run on proprietary hardware.

Let's say one wanted to reverse engineer Metroid Prime 1. Upon doing so, theoretically speaking, they could go and make a port of the game to the Switch, PC, Xbox, etc.. Granted, I don't think distributing said code would be a good idea, as the NinteNinjas are diligent workers for their lawyers, after all!

What prevents more games from being reverse engineered like this? What's to stop one from doing this to Tekken Tag Tournament 1 or 2?

4. Latiodile

Canada
    because reverse engineering a game is a very looong and arduous project that normally takes years

5. masagrator

masagrator The patches guy Member

Poland
    Mainly symbol and comments leftovers. More complicated game needs significantly more time for tests. Symbols and comments left in various releases like it was with Android releases of GTA helps tremendously understand purpose of each function. Thanks to that more people have courage to start RE some game.

Subtle Demise and Silent_Gunner like this.
  6. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend Member

United States
    * Waits for San Andreas* :creep:

Azael_inf, CTR640 and Ryccardo like this.
  7. Latiodile

Canada
    i just gave this a test, and man is it a relief to finally be able to use the xbox car models and reflections without any stupid complicated setup, this pleases me. now i'll just wait for the 60fps physics fixes, and maybe some mods to modernise the controls a bit more

and reLCS/reVCS

Last edited by Latiodile, Feb 16, 2021 at 11:19 AM
    Azael_inf, Subtle Demise and Prans like this.
  8. Subtle Demise

United States
    Rockstar are pretty litigious too. They have recently been taking down mods for GTA5 and RDR2 I think.

9. Latiodile

Canada
    rockstar are scum but not nearly on the level of nintendo when it comes to taking down content

unless it's 2017 and taketwo tried to ban openIV

10. CTR640

CTR640 GBAtemp Fan Member

Netherlands
    You probably meant menu mods. Yes, R* does a very good job on taking down the mod menu's and recently they took down one of the most cancerous mod menu's named Luna. Since that, GTA Online has become somewhat more chill and fun without cheating scums exploding players for fun, destroying sales and supplies remotely, kicking players to storymode and crashing their game by spawning 1000+ cargoplanes.

A few years ago OpenIV was taken down and it was not R*, in fact, it was TakeTwo! If I remember it fine, it was that asshole named Straus Zelnick. He wanted to force storymode players move on to GTA Online so more shark shark money goes to his pocket and to stop GTA offline being modded. And guess what? TakeTwo got a huuuuge backlash, it was so severe, they had to reverse it! Mods meant to use for storymode are totally harmless and only provide fun for....storymode!

All 3 GTA 3D games to PSVita would be effing awesome! I still have my PSVita OLEDs to use.

Last edited by CTR640, Feb 16, 2021 at 1:09 PM
  11. THEELEMENTKH

THEELEMENTKH GBAtemp Advanced Maniac Member

Spain
    This is amazing, can't wait to install both on my pc

12. Moon164

Moon164 GBAtemp Advanced Fan Member

Brazil
    The work of these people is so incredible, I can't believe that I can finally play GTA on my Wii U, I just hope someone can port GTA Sandreas in the future, in my opinion it's the best game in the franchise.

CTR640 likes this.
  13. Viri

Viri GBAtemp Psycho! Member

United States
    Do they also plan to reverse engineer Liberty City Stories and Vice City Stories?

14. Latiodile

Canada
    there's actually already a project for liberty city stories, but it seems to be barely worked on. i couldn't figure out how to install it

Azael_inf and MarkDarkness like this.
  15. DinohScene

DinohScene Feed Dino to the Sharks Moderator

Antarctica
    GTA 3 has been reverse engineered for a couple of months now.
    Yesterday VC got a release.

16. Latiodile

Canada
    i tried to install re3 a couple of weeks ago and it straight up didn't work, so i think this is more of a "it's usable for people who don't have a trillion dev tools installed to get everything to work" sort of release

17. raxadian

raxadian GBAtemp Addict Member

Argentina
    I I wish someone would do the same for Sonic Adventure International for the Dreamcast.

Last edited by raxadian, Feb 16, 2021 at 2:54 PM
  18. Latiodile

Canada
    so physics are already fixed with high refresh rate, however, save files are incompatible. i had a save file on the 2nd island and it crashed

Azael_inf and MarkDarkness like this.
  19. masagrator

masagrator The patches guy Member

Poland
    Re3 also got first release the same day.
    IMG_20210216_170247.jpg

Last edited by masagrator, Feb 16, 2021 at 4:04 PM
  20. MarkDarkness

Poland
    Just fired up VC with this. Two things: 1) wow, it works; 2) wow... it is more dated than my childish memories led me to believe.

Prans likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - engineered, reverse, Grand

Share this thread:

Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Telegram WhatsApp
Site Map