1. jacobsson

OP jacobsson GBAtemp Regular Member

Sweden
    Hi guys and gals.
    First: Let's skip the "no you can't" or "exfat is super dangerous" -replies for now (been using exfat for years), I'd appreciate if we kept the discussion on subject :)

Goal: My goal is to have a neat little dongle-less setup focused on emulation w/ triple boot: HOS, Android and Linux from one SD-card which is now setup on a 512GB card.

Problem: Since I'm planning to emulate GC/Wii and many games are 4GB+ which is the limit of fat32, (as soon as I format HOS to exfat it can no longer boot into Android or Linux).

Question: Is there anyway I can have my HOS partition formatted to exfat and still keep the Switchroot boot intact?
    If not, how come?

Thank you!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    TLDR: Possible solution for exFat support for those interested:
    For anyone interested in pursuing this further, I'll quote my post further down:
    Merging or implementing his changes into the official repo and rebuilding switch-root might be your best bet.

Last edited by jacobsson, Feb 17, 2021 at 12:08 PM
  2. mathew77

mathew77 Lovin' life. Member

Kazakhstan
    Do not use exFAT on a Switch HOS, it's broken here, use FAT32 instead.

Last edited by mathew77, Feb 15, 2021 at 12:40 PM
    Rahkeesh likes this.
  3. jacobsson

Sweden
    You did not read the first second line in my post. Any chance you would remove the post it to keep the thread clean? Thank you

Last edited by jacobsson, Feb 15, 2021 at 12:41 PM
  4. mathew77
    This message by mathew77 has been removed from public view by Foxi4, Feb 15, 2021 at 1:50 PM, Reason: Spam.
    Feb 15, 2021 at 12:41 PM
  5. jacobsson

Sweden
    @mathew77 Wow, the disrespect, sad to see to be honest. Please be constructive or refrain yourself from posting. I want to keep the thread on topic.
    Any moderator that could help me?

Last edited by jacobsson, Feb 15, 2021 at 12:49 PM
  6. mathew77
    This message by mathew77 has been removed from public view by Foxi4, Feb 15, 2021 at 1:49 PM, Reason: Spam.
    Feb 15, 2021 at 12:50 PM
  7. jacobsson

Sweden
    @mathew77 I don't know what your problem is, browsing through your post history you seems like a reasonable person and I don't believe we ever spoke before? Your behavior seems very unprovoked. I believe people are under more stress than usual due to the pandemic so maybe you could rethink what you are doing and remove these posts, just to help another member out?

8. CompSciOrBust

CompSciOrBust GBAtemp Regular Member

United Kingdom
    If you can't figure out how to do that on exfat you can split a file in to 4 gb chunks and place them in to a folder with the archive bit set, HOS will see it as a single file. I'm not 100% sure what tools you need to do it though.

jacobsson likes this.
  9. duckbill007

duckbill007 GBAtemp Regular Member

Russia
    Do not use exFat. Use FAT32

mathew77 likes this.
  10. jacobsson

Sweden
    That's very interesting, I'll look into this, thank you man!

CompSciOrBust likes this.
  11. CompSciOrBust

United Kingdom
    To split the files you could try this. It is designed for NSP files but it might work for anything.
    http://github.com/Aionmagan/NSPsplitty
    As for setting the archive bit, NX-Shell can do that.
    http://github.com/joel16/NX-Shell

jacobsson likes this.
  12. mathew77

mathew77 Lovin' life. Member

Kazakhstan
    He wants to use 4GB+ ROM files with GC/Wii emulator under L4T Ubuntu / Switchroot, not under the HOS, and they don't use this splitting method with archive bit at all, so it's useless for non-HOS OSes, unfortunately.

Last edited by mathew77, Feb 15, 2021 at 1:21 PM
    jacobsson likes this.
  13. CompSciOrBust

United Kingdom
    Ah right. Sorry I misunderstood.

jacobsson and mathew77 like this.
  14. jacobsson

Sweden
    @mathew77 Good clarification
    @CompSciOrBust No problem. All bits and pieces are useful, appreciate your contribution.

Last edited by jacobsson, Feb 15, 2021 at 1:42 PM
  15. mathew77
    This message by mathew77 has been removed from public view by Foxi4, Feb 15, 2021 at 1:49 PM, Reason: Spam.
    Feb 15, 2021 at 1:35 PM
  16. Foxi4

Foxi4 Cynical Absurdist Global Moderator

Poland
    @mathew77 I think they understood your recommendation the first time you made it. Next time's a warn - stop spamming the thread with the same message over and over again.

jacobsson likes this.
  17. hippy dave

hippy dave BBMB Member

United Kingdom
    Put the GC/Wii games on a different partition, eg. the Android user partition? It's not like you can play them from HOS anyway.

jacobsson likes this.
  18. jacobsson

Sweden
    Retroarch works pretty well currently under Atmosphere, another upside with using HOS partition that this is the one that shows when mounting the SD-card in windows and TWRP.

I found out that the limitation of exfat support lies in the implementation of switch-uboot. Apparently this u-boot fork by shinyquagsire23 has exFat support. I guess I need to learn the build process switch-root to achieve my goal.

Last edited by jacobsson, Feb 15, 2021 at 3:14 PM
  19. kidkat210

kidkat210 GBAtemp Fan Member

United States
    I haven't messed with android a whole lot, I also haven't messed with Linux. But couldn't you plug in an external hdd/thumb drive and play it from that?

jacobsson likes this.
  20. hippy dave

hippy dave BBMB Member

United Kingdom
    That's one thing you could do, but I bet it would take you less time to get a driver working on Windows to access the android/linux partitions than it would to build switchroot.

Either way, honestly I'm glad you're doing the research and seeing how you can achieve it yourself rather than just asking the devs to do more work. :yay:

Last edited by hippy dave, Feb 15, 2021 at 3:35 PM
    jacobsson likes this.
  21. jacobsson

Sweden
    Absolutely, but that would unfortunately not achieve the all-in-1 goal of one SD-card.
    Thank you for the suggestion though!

22. grabman

grabman GBAtemp Regular Member

United States
    I feel that sometimes you spin your wheels and you keep spinning. This is a general life thing. But the key is to adapt. There is an obvious solution to your dilemma.

It's called usb.

I really don't know what to tell you if you want to insist on stuffing it all into one sd. That's like your deal ya know?

I hope this makes sense...

Trots off to continue enjoying his Android TV switch install with 256gb removable usb storage...

23. jacobsson

Sweden
    Love your channel bro, good stuff! My USB-c port is already occupied by a USB-c BT transceiver and I love it.
    If weren't spinning our wheels, new adaptions and iterations of stuff we use wouldn't surface.
    In your case, If you really accepted the old way of thinking, how could you ever find a way to decrypt those emu files, bet those wheels where spinning pretty hard. Just a thought.

Anyway, since I now know what needs to be done I have contemplate if it's worth the time I need to invest.

Last edited by jacobsson, Feb 15, 2021 at 3:57 PM
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Switchroot, partiton, exfat

Share this thread:

Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Telegram WhatsApp
Site Map